Welcome to the 2nd episode ever of Fernando’s Improv Blog Podcast – The Improv Life!
Today I talked to none other than Liam O’Mahoney!
Liam is literally one of my favorite people in the whole world. There’s nobody I’ve probably done more improv scenes with in my whole life because of our time on Big Selfie together.
Him and I share a crazy synchronized group mind. There was a moment in the interview where Liam was speaking, and I literally thought of the next word out of his mouth – and I was right! And I told him, “That was the same word I was thinking!”
You don’t meet someone like Liam O’Mahoney every day. Dude is funny, kind, accepting, and creative. I’m very lucky to call him a friend, a person I’ve had a million good times with on stage, off stage, hanging out in the parking lot before a shot, and just in life. Love you Liam!
You can listen to the latest episode down below!
Here’s What Liam and I Talked About:
- Our first meeting ever and how we heard about each other before actually meeting.
- Liam’s early days at the Improv Collective and joining the community through Binh Ngyuen’s Improv Class at Orange Coast College.
- How Liam and I have a crazy group mind because of our time together on Big Selfie.
- How Liam was able to say “Yes” to what he wanted to do with his life.
- How that choice has brought him many friendships.
- Liam and I reminisce about all the crazy experimental shows we did back in the day and how it made us into better artists.
- How I intentionally planted the seed of “Game” in Liam’s mind when I coached him and Keefer Langer for their two-man Harold team.
- His journey to dreaming of being an actor, denying that desire, and finally embracing his artistic destiny by choosing himself.
- How the Improv Collective embraced him and nurtured him in the early days of his improv journey.
- Liam talks about studying at UCB LA and how different it felt from the Improv Collective.
- Liam reveals how deep he got into the LA improv world with his various practice groups and indy teams.
- How this is the first time ever Liam has not done improv because of the crazy times we’re living in.
- Overall, check out this podcast to see two friends with a lot of history and a love talk about their journeys.
Help Save Us, Improv Collective – the amazing theater where Liam and I cut our teeth at and formed our friendship needs your help. The Improv Collective has set up a Patreon to raise money to keep the theater alive. If you could sign up and donate, I would really appreciate it.
The Improv Collective Facebook Page – Stay up-to-date on all things Improv Collective.
The Big Selfie Facebook Page – Follow the Big Selfie FB page to find out when we’re coming back! I don’t know when, but you don’t want to miss the announcement!
Here are some blog posts where I talk about Liam and Big Selfie
The Fernando Show – A Retrospective On Taking Risks and Failing Big – The one man show where Liam was my sidekick and everything that went wrong.
The Improv Life: What I Learned About Owning Your Characters – I mention one of the last great amazing scenes and I did before the quarantine hit.
Hardeen Profiles: Meet Liam O’Mahoney – A bizarre profile I wrote about Liam to promo one of our many failed Hardeen sketch shows.
The Improv Life: Do It Together – A journal entry of when my Defenders like super team did a set at Idiot Dome.
The Improv Life: The Importance of Side Projects, Or Some More History of How Big Selfie Came Together – a little bit of background of how my Armando team, Big Selfie, came together.